Kindness of a stranger

As I had a deadline to complete and needed a distraction free space to work, I decided to park myself in a family owned café that serves delicious home cooked comfort food in a cosy and warm environment.

I was caught up in my work from the laptop,  asking God for some inspiration for a content write up, then the café owner hurriedly came over to me with her mobile, and asked me “ how do you spell company ? “. It was obvious she was trying to whatapp a message to someone but was having difficulty with English.

I asked her in Cantonese dialect what message she wanted to convey and without hesitation I spelt out every alphabet as this over 60 year old lady tried very hard to follow as she focused on her mobile keyboard.    I admired her persistence, wanting to get the message across despite her lack of fluency in the language. It turned out that her friend was experiencing discomfort in her body and needed to check into the hospital. As a concerned friend, she wanted to accompany (the word she was trying to find out) her for the trip.  

Somehow the flow of conversation began that led her to sharing about the health issues of her friend, to challenges in her family business, her grandchildren, the education system, the property market. It ended as she gave some wise advice on persevering in whatever we set out to achieve. We exchanged comments and encourage each other to embrace life as it comes.

After which seemed a few minutes, my work continued. At one point, she walked out briefly, only to stepped back into the café and holding a bag of food. She took out a generous piece of Kap Chung (Chinese doughnut with sweet glutinous rice filling) and place it on a new plate, asking me to help myself to it. I must have looked hungry, thinking to myself, in the midst of the notes scattered all around the table. I thanked her for her kind gesture and she went off to the kitchen. I felt a bit embarrassed as it was not part of the café menu and other patrons might be wondering the source of this Chinese doughnut 😊

The next time you open your laptop and start working, be prepared to offer your time and ears to someone in need. You might in return get a free piece of pastry or cake.

Eventually I had less time to complete my task, but I left for home with a smile in my heart, knowing that I had been that listening ear to a stranger, who now became an aquaintance who just needed someone to talk to.

Do drop by and try out their homemade cakes and pastries and indulge in their mouth watering nyonya laksa, Hainanese chicken chop and don’t forget their aromatic Hainan coffee too.  Opens Daily 7am – 9pm .


No 4, SS 24/13, Taman Megah, 47301, Petaling Jaya (next to Bake with Yan & Fatty Crab) Tel : 03-780 55188

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Martial Arts & Spice

Power Of Entrepreneurship - Jennifer Wong

A year end story 2015